Saturday, February 4, 2012

Scepticism of a Malay

Assalamulaikum my dear brothers and sisters,

Today's headline of my post might cause some issue and anger among the Malays. Believe me, I am not trying to be a racist here.Please do read first.

Scepticism. What does that mean? According to LONGMAN - Dictionary of Contemporary English, scepticism means an attitude of doubting that particular claims or statements are true or that something will happen.

In my discussion, scepticism of a Malay would be about how the Malays see and control their environment.

Ok, let's just let me tell you direct to the point. 

You see, in my campus, there's a cafe, but the senior people like me called them canteen. And there's one particular food shop. The people inside the shop are Ibans. But I believe they're muallaf. I mean, UiTM will not be that stupid to let the non-Muslims operating the food shop, right? Even if they do, maybe they have "Halal' certificate. Since then, that particular food shop become my favourite shop (mostly because their nice food!)

Then there's a friend. She's a Malay. Feling so doubt about the shop and the people operating them, she go and ask the aunt at the counter.
"Excuse me Aunty, may I ask you something? Are you a Muslim?"
the aunty replied "No, I'm not. But the people in the kitchen (the cook) are Muslims" she explained.

But still, the good friend of mine look for another reasons for her doubt. The kitchen helper has tattoos at his body and hands. Yes, I saw them with my eyes. That kitchen helper got tattoos. According to this good friend of mine, she feel 'doubtful' about the sources of meat that they used to cook the food.

But still, you can't use that for the reason why you're avoiding to consume their food. I like their food. It reminded me of my own family. I was born in a mix parentage of Chinese-Bidayuh-Malay. So my taste and passion for food will  be more toward the Bidayuh or Dayak's cookings.

Well, you see, the food shop might be operating as family business. It could be one of the family member married a Muslim and open up a food shop. Instead of hiring strangers, the owner hiring his/her own family members. The members that are non-Muslims. But that doesn't indicates that the food prepared is not Halal. Just because the kitchen helpers are non-Muslims? Just because most of the workers are Ibans?

I'm so sorry but I feel so much offended. I too, have some family members who are not Muslims.Since both of my parents are Muallaf, there's not a single Malay live with us, I'm sure if I invited you over to my house, you would doubt how Halal my food would be. I assumed that from the way you treat that food shop. See? Don't behave as such. People can assumed you to be as such from you behaving as such to other.

I feel kinda disappointed with Malays' scepticism. It's kinda funny how the Malays doubt food shop that is operating inside the university campus but didn't feel the same when they visit food shop located outside the campus. They go and eat at Chinese Restaurants owned by the non-Muslims Chinese, that they believed is Halal, and yet all the workers are non-Muslims too! 

Okay, I had enough of Scepticism of the Malays.

sources: google



With all due respect,
Ash.

No comments: